While most are wondering how to lose weight, some need just the opposite. We found most healthy ways to gain weight for those who are underweight. For example, it may happen after an unhealthy diet, or a disease. Sounds strange, but gaining weight is sometimes as hard as losing excess one!
Why gain when everyone’s trying to lose?
It is obvious that everyone should try to maintain normal weight. Most of the old people who are healthy enough are even thinner than normal. On the other hand, being underweight can be a concern. Particularly, it is bad for those being pregnant, as well as for those suffering from anorexia.
Why one may be underweight? Here are some reasons:
- Genetics. Some people are naturally very skinny but still healthy.
- Eating disorders. First of all, anorexia nervosa.
- Diabetes. It can also lead to severe weight loss, especially type 1 diabetes.
- Thyroid problems. For example, an overactive thyroid (so-called hyperthyroidism) can cause unhealthy weight loss.
- Cancer, HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, and infections caused by parasites.
So, if you’re underweight, and if you’re worried about it, you’d better see your doctor or dietitian. But first of all, discover our easy tips!
Healthy ways to gain weight
Here are some healthy ways to gain weight:
- Eat more frequently. Because people who weight less usually feel full faster, and they often eat even less than their bodies need. Try having up to six meals every day.
- Choose the right foods. Instead of sticking to fat, high in carbs unhealthy foods, grab nutrient-rich ones. Whole-grain bread, cereals, pasta, full fat dairy products, and nuts are the best. Also don’t forget about fruits and veggies that are a must for all of us.
- You’re the lucky one to eat before bedtime! But not too heavy foods! Snack on nuts, avocados, or some cheese.
- Exercise. First of all, physical activity (especially strength training) helps gain weight by building up your muscles. In addition, it stimulates appetite.
Wanna find out whether your weight is healthy or not? Use this calculator of the body mass index!