Heartburn, or acid indigestion, is quite common for people of any sex and age, and every second pregnant woman suffers from it. We have got some heartburn remedies for you, and some tips to prevent it. Fortunately, this condition is treatable.
Overview: all you need to know
First of all, you should know that heartburn has nothing to do with the heart. Briefly, it is an irritation of the esophagus caused by acid that comes back up from the stomach. It is not that easy to describe its symptoms, but once you feel it, you understand that it is a heartburn.
Heartburn most common causes
- Wrong, unhealthy diet:
- overeating regularly;
- eating high-fat and spicy foods too often;
- drinking certain beverages, including coffee and alcoholic drinks;
- eating before going to bed;
- too much of certain foods, like onions and garlic, tomatoes, and chocolate.
- Bad habits and unhealthy lifestyle:
- having excess weight;
- wearing too tight clothing.
- Medical causes:
- some digestive diseases, including ulcers;
- certain bacteria;
- taking some medications, among which are antibiotics and aspirin.
Usually the treatment includes diet changes, but there are also certain heartburn remedies, both home and medical. When knowing your triggers, like certain foods, you may ease the symptoms easily.
Most effective heartburn remedies
- antacids containing calcium;
- herbal remedies, that may relieve the symptoms;
- chewing gum;
- skim milk (but do not overdo);
- avoiding specific foods that trigger your heartburn, alcohol and caffeine;
- eating more fiber;
- reducing portions;
- not eating before bedtime;
- losing weight if needed;
- quitting smoking.
How to reduce heartburn during pregnancy
- eat more often, but make smaller portions;
- do it slowly;
- avoid fat and spicy foods;
- drink less while eating;
- do not go to bed, and do not even just lie down after eating;
- keep the head of your bed higher than the foot;
- wear loose-fitting clothing.
Heartburn prevention tips
Even if you do not suffer from it, you can make lifestyle changes to prevent heartburn. Obviously, you should skip to healthier diet, and try to get rid of bad habits.