There are plenty of reasons why your interest in sexual activity may decrease or even disappear. We picked most common low libido causes to help you improve your sexual life. Anyway, you should know that losing interest in sex from time to time is normal!
Low libido causes: common ones
- Depression and stress. Both affect our health and our life in general. Lost interest in life means lost interest in sexual life, too.
- Sleep problems. Especially in men, because an obstructive sleep apnea is associated with lower testosterone levels. In turn, it leads to decreased libido.
- Chronic illnesses. For example, if you have chronic pains, sex is obviously low on your list of priorities.
- Aging. The main reason why it affects your libido is changing hormone levels, both in men and women.
- Alcohol or drug abuse. Even too much wine may decrease your sexual drive.
- Certain medications. Some drugs kill libido.
So, what can you do if it happens? First of all, maintain a healthy lifestyle! Maybe you will also need to visit a therapist, or to switch medications. By the way, the list of drugs causing low libido is written below.
Low libido causes: men’s edition
- Low testosterone. This man hormone is responsible for building muscles and bone mass, for stimulating sperm production, and for your sex drive, too.
- Restless legs syndrome (RLS). Sounds strange, but RLS in men may lead to low libido. According to a study, men with RLS are at higher risk for developing erectile dysfunction than those without RLS.
Low libido causes: women’s edition
- Sexual problems, physical or physiological. For example, pain during sex or an inability to orgasm. Also, it may be a sexual abuse in the past, or previous negative sexual experience, as well as just the lack of emotional closeness, or other relationship problems.
- Certain birth-control medications. That is why it is important to consult a doctor to choose the right one.
- Menopause, pregnancy and breast-feeding. All due to changes in your hormone levels.
A woman’s libido is affected by many components. Even poor body image or low self-esteem sometimes makes normal sexual life impossible.
Drugs killing your desire
We are sure you know about medications improving sex life, like Viagra. But there are also drugs that may kill your libido. If you feel like you are losing interest in sex, just ask your doctor. May be you can switch to another pill.
Here is a list of potentially libido-killing medicines:
- selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (for example, Prozac and Zoloft);
- tricyclic antidepressants (like Elavil);
- benzodiazepines (most popular is Xanax);
- antihistamines (especially Benadryl and Chlor-Trimeton);
- medical marijuana;
- opioids (first of all, Vicodin);
- Proscar (that is used to treat enlarged prostate);
- Propecia (a drug for treating and preventing hair loss in men).