Did you know that being too skinny can be as unhealthy as being too fat? According to studies, it is extremely important to maintain a normal weight, especially for women. As we already mentioned, being underweight can cause serious health issues. Check this link to find out your normal weight!
The advantages of normal weight for women
Scientists from the University of Massachusetts have discovered that skinny women are under risk of premature menopause.
The study involved 80,000 women aged 25 to 42 years. In some cases, early menopause occurred as soon as at 40 years. The risk of that is 30% higher in skinny women, the scientists determined. At the same time, women with body mass index between 20 and 30 points, are less likely to face premature menopause.
According to statistics, an early menopause itself is associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular disease and other serious health problems, such as osteoporosis.
Some other disadvantages of being too skinny
In addition to early menopause and fertility problems, there are some other risks of being underweight, that are also true for men:
- Osteoporosis. Too low BMI is also a risk factor for developing osteoporosis, especially in women.
- Weakened immune system. Because the body needs fat, carbs and protein to function well.
- Anemia. Almost one-third of too skinny people may suffer from it. Consider taking vitamin B12 and iron supplements in this case.
- Dementia. A new study found that thin people are under higher risk of developing dementia. Therefore, do not skip exercise and watch your diet to maintain healthy weight.
Excess weight health risks
We already told about most common health risks of obesity, let us just remind of some of them:
- heart problems and stroke
- high blood pressure
- the risk of developing diabetes
- breathing problems.