Abdominal pain has variety of forms, all unpleasant, and many possible reasons. So, we picked most common stomach ache causes, as well as remedies for each one.
Most common stomach ache causes
- So-called stomach flu. In fact, that means gastroenteritis infection. Anyway, when you have to run to the toilet every five minutes, you don’t care. What about the symptoms? Cramps and abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, muscle pain, and headaches. What to do? First of all, rest, drink more, and eat less, but healthy. Consult your doctor if the symptoms persist.
- Lactose intolerance. Sometimes, your stomach just does not digest sugar from milk. What about the symptoms? Spasms, diarrhea, gas, and swelling after eating or drinking dairy products. What to do? Well, it’s obvious: do not eat or drink dairy products!
- Constipation. For example, because of the lack of fiber, of a sedentary lifestyle, or because of some medicines. It is one of the most common stomach ache causes. What about the symptoms? Dull pain in the lower abdomen, slight swelling. What to do? Gradually increase the intake of fiber. If that doesn’t help, better visit your doctor.
- Ulcer. It deteriorates during stress, but most likely, the cause is different. What about the symptoms? Burning pain in the abdomen, that may worsen after eating, heartburn, sudden weight loss, and blood in the stool. What to do? Call your doctor. You may have to give up caffeine, alcohol, spicy foods, and certain medicines.
- Irritable bowel syndrome. In this case, you feel chronic abdominal pain. What about the symptoms? Stomach cramps, gas, and bloating. In some cases, diarrhea, or constipation. What to do? Get medical attention to exclude more serious illnesses, and to get help, of course.
- Pancreatitis. For example, caused by alcohol abuse. What about the symptoms? Pain in the upper part of the abdomen, that feels like it’s also in the back, and worsens after eating. In addition, there may be nausea, or even vomiting. What to do? Anyway, consult a doctor. That may be serious.
- Heartburn. For example, because of excess weight, or due to certain pills. What about the symptoms? What you feel is usually a burning sensation behind the chest. Other symptoms may include nausea, bad breath, and pain when swallowing. What to do? First of all, stay away from food that causes heartburn.
- Acute appendicitis. Or acute inflammation of the appendix. What about the symptoms? Sudden, dull pain in the lower right side of the abdomen, that may worsen when walking, coughing and shaking. Also, you may have nausea, vomiting, fever, and swelling. What to do? Call ambulance immediately!
Other possible stomach ache causes
- Gluten intolerance. In fact, it is quite rare, but still may be one of the stomach ache causes.
- Gallstones. Usually, what you feel in this case is pain in the right upper abdomen, and in the shoulder. Also, there may be nausea, or vomiting. Go visit your doctor!
- Stomach cancer. In this case, localization of pain depends on the location of the tumor. The signs are frequent vomiting, blood in the stool, fatigue, and weight loss. Anyway, better consult a specialist.