Stomach problems symptoms can indicate quite normal conditions, but also may signal serious diseases. So, read this guide. Maybe you will need to ask your doctor for check up. Or just make some changes to your diet, and to your lifestyle in general. Because even excess stress harms our digestive system sometimes!
Stomach problems symptoms definition
Most common stomach problem symptoms are diarrhea, bloating, and constipation. Let’s observe each.
- Diarrhea and blood in your poop. It means you may have an ulcerative colitis, or other inflammatory bowel disease. In most cases anti-inflammatory drugs, steroids or immune suppressors are prescribed. If it’s more serious, a surgery may be needed.
- Diarrhea without blood in your poop, but along with abdominal pain. Usually it is irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea. The cure is to avoid your personal triggers, like certain particular foods, or stress.
- Diarrhea without blood in your poop and abdominal pain, but with an occasional bloat. If these symptoms are worse after you eat dairy, you are likely to have lactose intolerance. It happens after eating bread or pasta? In this case it may be celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity. If it is not linked to dairy or gluten foods, it could be food poisoning or a stomach virus.
- Long-lasting bloat. You may have an intestinal bacterial overgrowth caused by antibiotics of acid-suppressing drugs. Among other possible causes of bloating are wrong diet, lactose intolerance, reflux, and irritable bowel syndrome.
- Constipation and severe abdominal pain after meals. In this case you may have Crohn’s disease. Common treatment is proper diet along with medications, but sometimes it requires a surgery.
- Constipation that comes along with weight gain, fatigue, and feeling extra sensitive to cold. This condition often indicates an underactive thyroid (hypothyroid). So, you need a health check.
- Constipation that feels better after pooping. It could be an irritable bowel syndrome with constipation due to certain foods, gut bacteria problems, or just common stress.