Weight loss plateau is a common problem for those who are losing weight. Fortunately, there are also common reasons for that, and there are quite easy solutions. Anyway, your body fights back when you are trying to lose weight too fast. Often weight loss slows down or even stops, but you can break through the weight loss plateau with these tips.
Weight loss plateau: common reasons
- Not eating mindfully. First of all, eating mindfully means doing it slow, enjoying each bite, and listening to your body not to overeat.
- Eating too often. Popular tip to eat smaller portions frequently does not work for everyone. In addition, eating too often may make you consume more calories than you need.
- Junk food addiction. It is similar to drug abuse, and not that easy to fight without professional help.
- Not cutting back on carbs. Because low-carb diet often works better than low-fat one.
- Eating little protein. In fact, protein is the most important nutrient for weight loss, and it helps avoid and overcome weight loss plateau.
- Consuming too many calories. Sounds obvious, but many people eat too many calories without even realizing that. The best tip it counting calories, at least when you begin your weight loss journey.
- Not eating whole foods. First of all, it helps regulate your appetite.
- Drinking too much alcohol. Because it is high in calories, and has no nutritional benefits at all.
- And not drinking enough water. Drink as much water as you can before and between meals.
- Consuming too much sugar with drinks. This applies not only to cola, but also to fruit juices and smoothies.
- Certain medical conditions. Some illnesses really make things harder. Particularly, you may have difficulties losing weight if you have hypothyroidism or polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).
- Not lifting weights. Do not be afraid to grow too huge muscles. Any kind of resistance training helps burn more calories, and helps prevent metabolic slowdown.
- Skipping cardio. Running or any other cardio training is really effective for burning fat.
Weight loss plateau: surprising reasons
- Not sleeping well. According to studies, poor sleep is one of the main risk factors for obesity.
- Being stressed. And not just because of stress eating. Stress hormone called cortisol may increase the amount of fat your body stores away.
- Exercising with an empty stomach. Because in this case your body burns calories from muscle first, not fat.
- Starving for too long. Sometimes you just need to take a break.
- Having unrealistic expectations. Usually, weight loss process is slower than you wish. In addition, most of us are not likely to get as thin as photoshopped models.
- Overeating healthy foods. Because many of them, like avocados, nuts, and olive oil, are too high in calories. So, better control your portions.
- Skipping breakfast. Breakfast, especially rich in protein, jump-starts your metabolism.
- Maybe you ARE losing weight without realizing it! For example, that happens if you are losing fat that weights less than muscle mass, or because of the water your body holds for some reason.